CED Website Events
Although you enter an event once in the system, events can be displayed in a number of locations:
- As an event-summary feed on the CED and departmental home pages.
- As full event-listings under Events + Media.
- As full event-listings on the UC Berkeley Calendar Network (events.berkeley.edu)
The Basics of crafting an event
- Space is limited in the home-page event-summary feeds.
- Plan on being concise, and information-rich, when crafting event titles and content.
- Put a date at the beginning of your summary so it will be apparent when the event is happening in the syndicated feeds.
- Add relevant links to websites that offer additional information about the subject or event.
ADDING/ Editing EVENTS
The event editor is located under "Events + Media" in the CMS editor. When you add or edit an event, the entry screen is the same.
- For a new event click "Add." It will open up the editing window.
- To alter an existing event click "Edit." A list of exisiting events will open. Use keywords in the search field to locate your event by title.
Add/ Edit Entry Screen
The Edit Entry Screen has a number of fields you need to check off/fill in before entering your event content:
- Open - shows up in the Events Feeds for the home and department pages.
- Closed - in the system but does not show up in the Events Feeds.
- Featured - Makes the event available for syndication. Can show up in the Events Feeds for the home, department pages and on individual pages on the site.
- Pending - tells you an event has been sent over from another site and needs to be updated and turned on.
- Title: This is the title of the event. Should be short, very clear and consistent with similar events.
- Title: When you input your title, it repeats in the URL title. If your title is TOO LONG, the URL title will stop typing. You should always look at the URL title before you initially publish your entry and make sure it is SEO friendly.
- If you have published your event and need to make updates to the title and URL you will need to correct the url under the "structure" tab as opposed to the "Publish" tab. (See below.)
- Department: Choose which department this should go under. This will automatically sort the event entry by area, and color coding.
- Events: You need to choose the event type for cataloging the event.
- Syndication Details:
- Entry Excerpt: Summary detail of event that shows in the syndication box. Start with the date/time in the summary. This is a required field.
- Entry Image: Put the image here that will show up both in the syndication and event feeds.
- Video URL: If you have a video, instead of an image, the url goes here.
- Event Type (Field for UC Berkeley Calendar): You must choose a field cateogry or your event will not port over to the Berkeley Calendar. This is a required field.
- Event Contact Email: You must list an email contact. This is a required field.
- Export to UCB Calendar System: YES/NO. If you wish to port your event over to the main UC Berkeley Events Calendar, toggle the button to "on". The listings feed goes nightly to the Berkeley calendar.
- Event Date & Time: For a same day event - put the start/end time. For an all day event, mark all day.
- Event Recurrence (Field for UC Berkeley Calendar): If this is a regularly occurring event (i.e. weekly) note the dates here.
- Recurrence Exception Dates (Field for UC Berkeley Calendar): If your dates are Monday-Friday, but not weekends, not the exceptions here.
- On Campus Location: Drop down offers you building locations on campus. Put room numbers in the open field.
- Off Campus Location: Note address here for off site events.
- Event Description: Put your content for the event here.
- You can add links in the body text. We recommend that you spell out the link incase the link automation does not port over to the Berkeley Calendar.
- DO NOT add additional photos in the body of the listing. The photo inserted in the syndication details will automatically show up in the event listing.
FORMATTING FOR SMOOTH EXPORT TO UC BERKELEY CALENDAR
Events exported to the UC Berkeley Calendar Network are stripped of all their style formatting (bold, italics, etc.) Additionally, some special characters may transfer over as text: an emdash ( — ) , for example: "departments — Architecture and City & Regional Planning" may transfer over as "departments — Architecture and City & Regional Planning". Below are guidelines for formatting your event so that it exports smoothly over to the UC Berkeley Calendar Network.
- Add colons to content headings.
- Bolded headings will be stripped of the bold formatting, and the colon will help signal that the text is a heading.
- Add URLs in their full text form, rather than (or in addition to) embedding them as text links.
- Special character entities will render as text. Check your source code and fix any that you find:
- change emdashes ("&emdash;") to two hypens, separated from the text by spaces: "departments -- Architecture and City & Regional Planning"
- replace non-breaking spaces with regular spaces (" ")
- replace "’" (right single-quote entity) with the decimal character reference "'"